Do not use the bench grinder if you have not been trained by one of the faculty.
- Always wear eye protection (safety glasses or a face shield).
- Tie back any loose clothing or hair. Remove rings, watch and other jewelry and roll up sleeves.
- Make sure the wheel guards are in place. Grinding creates heat; don’t touch any portion of the workpiece until you are sure it has cooled.
- Adjust the spark guards to be close to the wheel, and re-adjust these spark guards as the wheels wear down to a smaller diameter
- Stand to one side of the wheel when turning on power
- Tool rests should be adjusted close to the wheels and thoroughly tightened in place so they cannot shift position while in use
- Inspect the wheels before turning on the power. DO NOT use wheels that have been chipped or cracked.
- When grinding, use the face of the wheel only.
- DO NOT use a wheel that vibrates.
- Shut off the power and do not leave guards as the wheels wear down to a until the wheel has come to a complete stop and the work area is clean when finished using machine.
Photo of the bench grinder here